Friday, July 8, 2011

better than Hana

I packed up again and hit the road this morning...this time to the Wild and Wonderful! A lot of people in Hawaii couldn't understand what was so important to me that I would leave a week early and miss out on Hana (apparently it's one of the top 10 beaches in the world). For some of you it might not make much sense either. But that's OK, I don't expect all of you to understand and if I've learned one thing from having divorced parents it's that you can't please everyone. So in leaving beautiful Maui (did you read in previous posts how hard it was for me?!) I would like to point out how important this camp I came home for is to me. I was thinking today of how it's kind of a reference sheet for the other 51 weeks of my life. When I'm in a situation and don't know what to do, I think of what the people at camp would do. When I make a life changing decision I think of how it will affect the people at camp. When I plan my summer, I plan it around camp. It's not a perfect place and it's full of imperfect people. The things we do aren't that special, i'm sure there are other Christian camps that do the same things...split up onto teams, have afternoons full of activities and sports, campfires, church services. The one thing that I love about camp though is that God is always there. He is always everywhere, actually, but sometimes He is pushed away by things of this world or He is overshadowed by people. At camp we have the opportunity to lift Him up and glorify Him in everything we do. It's just a special place, we say that all the time. It's the people and the traditions. The place and the time of year. The laughter and the tears. It's all stuff we'll never forget. 

So here's to another year of Greenbrier Baptist Youth Camp. New captains and new children of the King. New relationships and new testimonies. And a whole week of lifting up the only One who is worthy with some of my favorite people.


[I bought the Passion: Here for You CD on iTunes and it's amazing! I wanna post all of the songs on here. Instead, look em up on youtube or iTunes. Forever Reign, Always, and Sometimes are some of my favorites! When I listen to them Maui is always on my mind]



No comments:

Post a Comment